Yes, we’re from Texas. Therefore, taco’s & margaritas are our JAM.
Just in time for Cinco De Mayo, here are some lightened up versions of some of our favorites!
Chicken Street Tacos on Paleo (Gluten/Grain Free) Tortillas
To make Tortillas: Recipe taken from Fork and Beans
- 3/4 Cup Ottos Cassava Flour (you can find here)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp warm water
- Whisk together the flour and salt. Add the oil and warm water until a nice dough begins to form. The dough should not be dry or too wet and sticky.
- Knead the dough until smooth.
- Divide into two balls and then three even dough balls from each piece so you have six dough balls.
- Roll each dough ball between two pieces of parchment paper until thin.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Once properly heated, place tortilla on the skillet. Wait for the air bubbles to form (approx. 1 minute) and then flip. Each side should be slightly browned.
- Place on a plate and stack each tortilla on top, covered with a towel to keep warm.
*Use a cast iron tortilla press for the BEST results
I LOVE these tortillas not only because I am gluten free, but because they taste SO much better than the average corn tortilla. They have that homemade taste and really taste more like a flour tortilla.
You can use corn tortillas or La Tortilla Factory low carb tortillas if you prefer.
Fill tortillas with grilled chicken and toppings of choice.
We love: Low Fat Shredded Mexican cheese, Happy Tomato Very Verde Salsa (pictured in very top picture-Local from Fort Worth), Trader Joes Garlic Chipotle Salsa, Trader Joes Avocado Salsa.
Skinny, Skinny Margarita (Serves 2)
- 3oz Tequila
- 1 can Zevia Lemon Lime
- 1 small lime, juiced
- Simply Orange Juice (to taste)
- Pour all ingredients except OJ into a cocktail shaker.
- Pour over ice, divided among two glasses.
- Top off with a splash of OJ (mix well) & garnish with lime. Enjoy!
And in honor of Cinco De Mayo, here’s a little throwback to our trip to Cancun, Mexico this past fall! These coconut drinks were MAGIC. 😉
Want to learn more about “Flexible Dieting” and how you can eat the foods you love and still reach your goals? No food restrictions, just learning how to fuel your body properly with balance & flexibility.
Take our FREE Pre-Assessment CLICK HERE OR send us an email CLICK HERE