Acclimation and IntensificationUse these set/rep techniques and your big exercises for major gains!
When trying to progress in strength on your CORE movements it is important that you use some form of periodization for optimal performance
Alternating rep schemes is just one form of periodization (linear)
Using “waves” in your programming will allow to progress each week by reducing volume and increasing intensity or load
- Acclimation- this involves using a submaximal load for usually a larger number of sets. This may also be called volume work
- Intensification- This will be a decrease in volume and increase in load
How to Implement:
- Acclimation- choose either 5, 8, or 10 reps. perform 5 sets of the designated amount of reps. choose a weight that allows complete all reps without failing. *Perform max amount of repetitions on the last set
- Ex. Deadlift 225lbs x 5, 5, 5, 5, 8
- Too light if you perform more than double the original rep on last set
- Intensification- increase the weight by 15-20% from the previous week (volume). Only do 3 sets
- Ex. Deadlift 260 x 5, 5, 8
- Start over using 235 for the acclimation
Now go lift!